Dear foodie friends, gather around! Today, we are going to enter the sweet and wonderful world of homemade jam. And not just any one! We will learn how to prepare traditional bitter orange jam. Ready for an unforgettable taste adventure? Hold on to your wooden spoons, here we go!
A Little History Behind Bitter Orange Jam
Bitter orange, also called bitter orange, is a fruit with a particular taste perfectly balanced between bitterness and sweetness, which gives bitter orange jam an absolutely irresistible taste. With its Mediterranean origins, this jam has made its way to our tables through decades of culinary tradition.
The Ingredients of your Traditional Bitter Orange Jam
- 1 kg bitter oranges
- 1 kg of sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- A little patience and a lot of love
Step by Step: How to Make Traditional Bitter Orange Jam
- Take your bitter oranges and cut them into small pieces, as thin as possible. Don’t forget to keep the seeds carefully!
- Place the orange slices and seeds in a large saucepan, cover with water and leave to sit overnight.
- The next day, bring everything to the boil, then simmer for about two hours until the peels are very tender.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice, then stir well and continue to cook until the pectin from the oranges transforms everything into a beautiful transparent jelly.
- Finally, pour the still hot jam into your previously sterilized jars, close them well and invert them until the jam cools.
And There you go! Now you know how to prepare traditional bitter orange jam! You can enjoy it on fresh bread, pancakes, waffles or even in pastries. So, grab your pots, and may the best jam maker win!
Finding the Ingredients for Traditional Bitter Orange Jam
To buy your bitter oranges, head to the local market or your favorite supermarket. You can also order them online on specialized sites like Bitter Orange Orchards Or My Organic Basket. As for your sugar, opt for crystal sugar or special jam sugar for an even more professional result.
What are you waiting for, foodie friends? It’s time to put on your apron and show the world how to prepare traditional bitter orange jam! Let me know how you got on and above all… Enjoy your meal!